Cytobank, Inc. (“Cytobank”) values the privacy of our users and others (collectively or individually “Users”) who visit www.cytobank.org and related websites (the “Service”). This Privacy Statement describes how we may collect, use, and share your Personal Information.
When you visit our website, use our Service, or provide personal information to us, we will only use the information for the uses and purposes described. By continuing to use the Service, or by providing your personal information to us, you agree to the practices and policies described in this Privacy Statement.
Information Cytobank Collects
We may collect the following types of Personal Information in connection with our delivery of the Services:
- • Account Information - You may provide personally identifiable information, such as your name and email address, when you register for the Cytobank Service or at other times when you voluntarily provide information such as correspondence between you and Cytobank Support;
- • Automated Information - When you use the Service, click on a link, or open one of our HTML emails, certain information from your computing device may be recorded in visitor logs and through the use of technology such as “pixel tags” or “web beacons”. This information may include your Internet Protocol address (“IP Address”), web browser type, location, the web pages or sites that you visit just before or just after the Service, the pages you view on our site, and the dates and times that you visit;
- • Usage Information - We collect usage and aggregate information about the features, services, and data files you upload to the Service, from which individual identities and identifying attributes have been removed
How Cytobank Uses Information
Cytobank uses the information that we collect to provide the features and services found on the Service. In particular we use information:
- • To Communicate with You — We use your Account Information, including your name and email address, to provide Customer Support and for administrative purposes such as notifying you of major Service updates, product updates, and Service offerings;
- • For Business Operations — We use your information to operate our business; for example, to perform accounting, billing and collection activities, security monitoring, crime and fraud prevention, protecting our legal rights, and performing contractual obligations;
- • For Service Improvements — information we collect from our Users is used to understand usage trends and preferences, to improve the way the Service works and looks, to improve our marketing and promotional efforts, and to create new features and functionality;
- • For Personalization — information collected and cookie information are used to to remember your information so that you will not have to re-enter it during your visit or the next time you visit the Service;
- • For Advertising — to (a) provide custom, personalized advertisements, content, and information; (b) monitor the effectiveness of our marketing campaigns; and (c) monitor aggregate usage metrics such as total number of visitors and pages viewed.
Cytobank will not use your email address or other personally identifiable information to send promotional or marketing messages without your consent or except as part of a specific program or feature for which you will have the ability to opt-in.
How Cytobank Shares Information
Cytobank does not sell or rent your personal information to any other third party. We only share Personal Information with third parties who are bound by terms at least as restrictive as this Privacy Statement and only in the following ways:
- • Your Organization - We share information with the organization that subscribes to the Service so that they may provision your account, administer your account, maintain security, view usage statistic, and access data associated with your account;
- • Service Providers - We share information with our service providers to host our Service, provide website maintenance and security, to offer certain features on the Service, to assist us in improving the way the Service works and looks, and to create new features. We require that these parties agree to process such information in compliance with our Privacy Statement, we use reasonable efforts to limit their use of such information, and we require these parties to use appropriate confidentiality and security measures;
- • Legal - Except as otherwise noted in this Privacy Statement, Cytobank does not share personal information about Users with third parties unless doing so is appropriate to carry out a User’s request or it reasonably believes that doing so is legally required or is in Cytobank’s interest to protect its property or other legal rights or the rights or property of others;
- • Business Transfers - Any and all personally identifiable information, may be disclosed as part of any merger, acquisition, debt financing or sale of Cytobank assets, as well as in the event of an insolvency, bankruptcy or receivership as one of our business assets.
We do not share Account information with other third-party organizations for their marketing or promotional use without your consent except as part of a specific program or feature for which you will have the ability to opt-in.
Cytobank may share aggregate, anonymized, de-identified, or otherwise non-personal information that does not directly or indirectly identify you and that cannot, with reasonable effort, be used to re-identify you in order to improve the quality and overall experience of our Services.
When you Share your Information
Any information that you choose to share on any publicly available portion of the Service or with third parties may be collected and used by such parties.
In addition, the Service’s functionality may make your User ID accessible to other Users (e.g., as associated with any data files you upload to the Service). If you associate your actual name or other personally identifiable information with your User ID, the persons to whom you have revealed your name may be able to identify your activities on the Service.
Cytobank administrators may have access to your account information, including your email address. Specifically, your administrator may:
- View statistics regarding your account, such as information concerning your last login or data storage usage;
- Change your account password, suspend or terminate your account access and your ability to modify your account;
- Access or retain information stored as part of your account, including your email, contacts and other information; and, retrieve account information in order to satisfy applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request.
When you use the Service, we may send one or more “cookies” – small text files containing a string of alphanumeric characters – to your computer. Cytobank uses both session cookies and persistent cookies to anonymously track unique visitors. A persistent cookie remains after you close your browser and may be used by your browser on subsequent visits to the Service. By using these cookies, we can remember what you have done on the Service before and personalize our site for you.
You have the option to reject or remove these cookies using your web browser, but disabling cookies may prevent you from accessing some of the functionality available via the Service.
Do Not Track Signals
The Cytobank Service does not respond to "Do Not Track" browser signals or mechanisms at this time.
Access to Your Information and Choice
You have access to and may update, correct, or delete your information and preferences at any time by going to the Account Settings section of the Service. You have access to your Personal Information and you may update or correct your Account Information and email subscription preferences at any time.
You may decline to share your personally identifiable information with Cytobank, in which case Cytobank will not be able to provide to you some or all of the features and functionality found on the Service.
To protect your privacy and security, we take reasonable steps to verify your identity before granting access to your account. You are responsible for maintaining the secrecy of your account and password at all times.
Consistent with the federal Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998 (COPPA), we will never knowingly request personally identifiable information from anyone under the age of thirteen (13) without requiring parental consent. Any person who provides their personal information to Cytobank through the Service represents that they are 13 years of age or older.
Cytobank uses the following third-party analytics providers to help us analyze, monitor, and improve our Service.
- • Google Analytics – http://www.google.com/policies/privacy/
- • MixPanel – https://mixpanel.com/privacy/
Cytobank does not provide any personally identifiable information to these third-party services without your consent or except as part of a specific program or feature for which you will have the ability to opt-in.
However, please note that if an advertiser asks Cytobank to show an advertisement to a certain audience or audience segment and you respond to that advertisement, the advertiser or ad-server may conclude that you fit the description of the audience they were trying to reach.
Links to Other Sites
Cytobank Services may contain links to external websites or services. Cytobank does not maintain these sites and is not responsible for the privacy practices of sites or services it does not operate. You should consult the respective privacy policies posted on these sites.
We use reasonable and appropriate security precautions to protect the security and integrity of your Personal Information in accordance with this Privacy Statement and applicable law. We secure information using industry standard administrative, physical, and technical safeguards including encryption of information that is stored and transmitted. It is important for you to know that, despite using these current industry-recommended practices, we cannot guarantee against breaches in security.
If Cytobank learns of a security breach, we may attempt to notify you electronically so that you can take appropriate protective steps. By using the Service or providing personal information to us, you agree that we can communicate with you electronically regarding security, privacy, and administrative issues relating to your use of the Service.
For the Cytobank Enterprise Service, Cytobank maintains your Personal Information until the agreement with your Organization expires or is terminated. For the Cytobank Premium and Community Services, Cytobank retains your Account Information, including your name, company name, and email address, for the duration of your license to the Service and thereafter as an inactive account.
You may request permanent removal of your Account Information and/or other Personal Information by contacting us at gro.knabotyc@ycavirp
Subject to your organization’s policies, applicable law, and necessary record retention requirements, your Personal Information shall be deleted from records within 30 days of your request. Please note that we may need to retain certain information for recordkeeping purposes, as part of our audit or security logs, to complete any transactions that you began prior to your request, and for other purposes as required or authorized by law.
International Users, Cross-Border Transfers
The Cytobank Enterprise Service is hosted in a geographic location that is mutually agreed upon between Cytobank and the Enterprise user security team, in compliance with local laws.
The Cytobank Premium and Community Services are hosted in the United States. If you are a User accessing the Service from the European Union, Asia, or any other region with laws governing personal data collection, use, and disclosure, that differ from United States laws, please note that you are transferring your personal data to the United States which does not have the same data protection laws as the European Economic Area (EU/EEA) and other regions, and by providing your personal data you consent to:
- • the use of your personal data for the uses identified above in accordance with the Privacy Statement; and
- • the transfer of your personal data to the United States as indicated above.
Cytobank will take all necessary measures to ensure that transfers of your Personal Information out of the European Economic Area are adequately protected as required by applicable data protection law.
Changes and Updates
We may update this Privacy Statement from time to time. When we do, we will revise the “Effective Date” on the Privacy Statement. For changes to this Privacy Statement that may be materially less restrictive on our use or disclosure of Personal Information that you have provided to us, we will attempt to obtain your consent before implementing the change.
We encourage you to periodically review this Privacy Statement to stay informed about how we are protecting the Personal Information we collect. Your continued use of the Service constitutes your agreement to this Privacy Statement and any updates.
If you have any questions, comments, or concerns about this Privacy Statement, please email us at gro.knabotyc@ycavirp
Postal Mail Address: Cytobank Inc., 2811 Mission College Blvd., 7th Floor, Santa Clara, CA 95054
Effective Date: November 21, 2018